Monday, September 26, 2011

Nursery visits

Everglades Botanicals on Flamingo Road. UNBELIEVABLE stand of bird of paradise 40'+  with swiss army knife blossoms elbow length. A papaya with enormous leaves was entertwined in the trunks. They also have a remarkable collection of mature cycads some measuring 15', or more, from tip to tip.


b. 'Caribbean King'

I bought a robust b. 'Caribbean King' at Jesse Durko's on 70th St. in Davie for $15. He had a few different types of begonias. I've been wanting this plant for a while as it is a very tough rhizomatous begonia. At his suggestion I'm going to try to coax a Burly Marx to climb up a wall. $8 for a nice size plant. Unfortunately, I think the wind will keep this from happening. They are also quite cold sensitive. I'll plant on the interior walls which will hopefully protect it enough. I was gifted with a pull a from monstera-like climber that had sharply incised leaves that gave it a delicate look. Always nice to get a free clipping.



A smaller philodendron, with pronounced incisions on the leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment