Sunday, May 26, 2013

Standing at the crossroads

After an peeling 3lb of blanched almonds to be used for Spanish almond cakes (sugar-free), I poured the water used for blanching over almond skins cooled and poured around the orange tree. Probably a meaningless gesture but it was fun to use at least a little food waste for mulching. Of course, when gardening en terra, a pot by the sink would be de riguer :)

My live in chef
My sky garden has been pulled apart for 3 weeks now for the installation of the trellisses made for the space. the macho ferns need to be repotted; all of the bromeliad need to be unpotted and separated. The gorgeous stephanotis vine needs to be unwound from the wooden trellis it came on and fed through the squares of it's new home. The solanum macranthum which I love, becomes too large too quickly and needs frequent cut backs to stay a manageable size-- no blooms until new growth is ready. She's being given away to a friend who can put it in the ground. The bamboo palm has taken off, but it ain't my favorite. It can take 3-4 hours of morning sun which is surprising.. but's feathery leaves at least at this stage are packed tight and are messy. The palm is quite elegant when its trunks can grow to 7'. Don't think this is going to happen in a pot, but maybe. I'll have to cull shoots at the base.

Ever your,
Sky Gardener
The jasmine on the handrail has become leggy.. kind of feel like getting rid of about half of my inventory, take pause and do some planning. I'm a little loathe to take this on, it's just plain messy doing that work. I have a problem with dirt on the tiles.

I feel like I'm whining here. The truth be told, the weather has been fabulous, the plants are being pushed by the locomotion of summer sun and humidity. I'm lucky to have a 33' x 11' terrace to grow with unobstructed southern views. And, some freshly baked almond cake and strong coffee in front of me.

Classic Catalunyan almond cake sans sucre


No comments:

Post a Comment