Saturday, March 8, 2014

Tricky love

I've killed at least half of my orchids. I threw two more out today. My gorgeous blue vanda is looking burned out. Too much fertilizer. I'm such an addict. I'm advised by all to fertilize once every two weeks during the growing season. I put a tablespoon of Jack's in with every morning spray. I once heard "if there were a pill that made everything perfect, absolutely everything. I'd take two", this describes my relationship with fertilizer and orchids..  Will glyphosate kill the bamboo rhizomes I need out of my big beautiful pot?

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear your bad luck with the orchids. I think you're over loving your plants. I would stop all nutrient applications and just water once a week for several months. Allow them to harden in. Stress factors affecting your plants could be acclimation problems to your city water, sun light intensity, humidity levels and wind. If you can purchase plants from backyard hobbyist opposed to professional nurserymen growing their plants under commercial conditions, I think you will be very successful. These backyard plants will be accustomed to less than ideal conditions and less like to die. Place an ad on CL or one of the orchid forums to locate plants in your area.

    ReplyDelete