Saturday, November 8, 2014

The half- ass gardener

I bought a gallon pot of orange bird-of-paradise for 14.95 at Living Color nursery- seems awfully cheap to me.(I hope they don't turn out to be white which would be a VERY inappropriate choice). There were 3 nice plants coming up in the gallon container. I finally got around to planting today, which I did rather sloppily; separate the plants by splitting apart snake-like roots from one another. It hurt me probably more than the plants. 2 birds into large square planters, one per, already crammed with wart fern red bougainvillea and sanchezia. I watered in well. The desire to live is very strong in plants. They will probably out grow the pot in a few years. The 3rd replaced a tall (too) leggy plumeria in a large rectangular planter one half of which is overflowing with burle marx. Below is a 'Pixie' bloomer with small, double magenta bracts. A charming type of boug for a bonsai.. Remember imaginary readers, that beautiful bonsai was purchased at Richard Lyons Nursery.. I think I paid $50, great deal for that thick trunk.

First bloom after getting the bonsai chop-chop. Slow raining Saturday does not get this wizened old boy down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment