Monday, January 31, 2011

wind and rain.

I can see that i'm going to have a problem with the more delicate rhizomatous. I'll have to
protect them from the wind. Fourth floor, 1 mile from the ocean, there is usually a breeze, or a wind. The sun is starting to move overhead and become more direct. I'm going to have to find some protective plants. The papaya offers a nice umbrella, but i'm limited to one of those. I really don't have space for another large pot. I leaned over and took a look at the neighbors terrace, pretty much bare but they had some cat palms (couldn't be due to sun exposure- but they looked like them). I realized I didn't have any palms. I could easily slip one or two against the wall near banana. Maybe positioning so I could put bogie underneath. The other challenge I'm going to have is rain water running off of the tiles (over eaves).

Ideally, I could put one of the fancier rhizomes inside. I think the bright green have to be in indirect light. I pulled though then 'phoe cloe' out of a greenhouse. The bright green is so beautiful.
b.'Dopey' has bright interesting color patterns too, I do not think the colors would survive anything but indirect light. PHOE has all of their plants under light screening or they are in greenhouses. I don't even think the 'Caribbean Queen' is going to make the southern summer sun.. it's going to be a challenge. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment