Thursday, February 3, 2011

This and That

Where are the sources to find the species that was hybridized for Selph's Mahogany? There really aren't a lot of references. There are several volumes of the Thompson series, I have a single volume which doesn't mention it being vol 1, 2 ,3 etc. I'm not sure if it's the complete set in one book. There was also an update done in then 80's. I may have to join the ABS again and start pelting them with queries. Thinking of sources, the Thompson's actually have meticulously documented their work, I should go this and see if I can find sources to check out and document, focusing first on rhizomatous and seeing where I'll go from there. The b. 'Cosair' that I gave a HARD trim to- pretty much down to the rhizomes are already putting up some new leaves. This one is behind the others in terms of blooming, but I see low lying buds there.

I cut the last blood oranges off of the orange tree as new buds are starting to set for next years fruit. The tree is in a corner of the terrace. The light it receives will be on 3 sides, the corner will be darker, I guess that happens in the wild, I am unsure how to prune the tree to it's best advantage.

I'll be away for a week in mid-February a friend has generously offered to water thank goodness.

I have two pots of Duranta on different ends of the terrace. The larger one, on the east side had longer branches which I pushed through the railing so that it spills over the edge of terrace. It's beginning to put out it's beautiful purples sprays of flowers.

The Buddha belly bamboo is sending up a shoot at an angle from the cut l made. I'm going to have to learn how to keep the stalks coming up in the most beautiful way. The last full culm that came up did not have fully round bulbs in the stalk. I'll put a picture to illustrate the shape of stalk I'd like to encourage.o

Regarding handling the new rhizo's with kid gloves, i'm not sure how much I'll really have to do that. Once I get the plants really growing, the wind might even make them stronger. I think it does with other plants after they've been out there for a while. The Plumaria for example has strong trunks. It was 3' tall in September, it tops 6' feet now!

I'm partial to begonias as you can probably tell from my posts. My rhizo's are all beginning to bloom now and it is very pretty sight. Here are some of the begonia related resources that I use:
Of course , the ABS virtual greenhouse:
http://www.begonias.org/greenhouse/index.htm

as well a their great resource page:
http://www.begonias.org/Resources/resources.htm

"Begonias the Complete Reference Guide" by M.L. and E.J. Thompson
This is the bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment