Monday, February 7, 2011

The western wind bloweth

I doubt the more delicate rhizomes are going to be able to left outside. Tonight for example, there is a strong wind coming from the west. I had to move some plants toward the western wall which is provides a wind block.  I can't move things around at first sign of weather. It's not good for the plants and it definitely isn't good for the relaxed enjoyment of my garden. I'm hoping that, as some of the other plants grow up and out, i'll be able to figure out how they can be used to provide shelter from the storm. The larger rhizomes and canes seem to be able to tolerate some gusts of wind.

I'd setup an inside window bench for the begonia but my cat Ray would trim the leaves and then purge..

The majority of the other plants on the terrace can be blown around and don't really seem to suffer too much. The coming summer storms will be quite a learning experience. The banana leaves will show some wear and tear but are still so tropical and wonderful addition to the different leaf textures that i'm going for. bamboo and bougainvilla can take a beating, orange / papaya ok too. Jasmine being trained along handrail with euphorbia and vietnamese jasmine -- sturdy all.

I did a hard prune on the purple bougie, I'm going to start having to think about attaching it to the wall using eye hooks / string.

I'm watering in the morning, I'm interested in seeing how the watersorb crystals react. I'm hoping they ou aren't going to blow up over the top of the pot. I hope using them in existing planted pots won't turn out to be a big mistake. I mixed it in the potting soil when I was first mixing it up. I think that with the S FL sun, the amendment to the soil should be increased by a third or so-- this ain't a scientific number. I'll try it in my next potting and let you know.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment