Sunday, July 10, 2011

The mango festival at Fairchild

HOT. We were on the tennis court by 8:45 and it was too hot to stay very long.  Went with Thom to the Fairchild Botanic Garden which, as always, was enchanting. The collection of palms, philodendron, ferns, alocasia, cycads, orchids (the list is a lot longer than this) is extraordinary .

I hadn't noticed the huge stands 4' of B. Nelumbifolia, large beds B. Ricinifolia and many others. I would like to dedicate a trip just to focus on the begonias there. Of course, being so close to the amazing tropical nursery Palm Hammock Orchid Estate, I would have to do a drive by there too.

My passion fruit vine, which until 2 or 3 ago, seemed so vigorous, has begun to wilt. I'll give until next weekend and then cut it out. The jasmine has been doing well there, so that will cover some of the rail. I'll ponder on another type of handrail-suitable vine/shrub.

I've finding centipede like bugs in some of my soil. They're not earthworms, so I'm not sure if they're destuctive or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment