Monday, November 14, 2011

Splayed the branches of the bougainvillea

Why all the talk about bougainvillea? It can take unadultrated caribbean sun, salt air, strong breezes and is quite floriferous in season, which is usually the dry winter months. I had the magenta plant blooming all year in cycles with some regular feeding. The wet summer months are it's real growth period.  Hardy in zones 9b and higher.

I splayed the branches of the 48" I bought and planted last weekend and stuffed some creeping fig in with it. I'll place the creeping fig against the wall.  After trimming a good many of the smaller branches and dead wood, I got 6 or 7 nice branches, some to throw over the handrail (sun all day!) and 2 strong branches to climb up a fishline 'trellis'.

Have to untruss them, find the strong branches and clip off the rest, rather like a rose 

No comments:

Post a Comment