Sunday, November 6, 2011

A strong force pulled me off of the road

The past few days have slipped by without an update on my non-stop carryings-on on the the terrace. The center handrail which you see from the main room was missing vine coverage, color-- something. It had 2 dwarf cypress at both columns as vertical accents. Cypress are not tropical looking. So, they had to come out. A friend happened to be passing and I gave both evergreens to him.
I wish I knew the name of this Euphorbia.
Notice white puffs starting to appear along the stems.
Begonias to the lower left. Gave them all a little
Plant Dynamite [click for large pic with details]
I had gone to Home Depot earlier in the day to buy potting soil. As usual, I start looking at the plants and lost track of time. They were having a special on nice looking 26" rustic Mexican terracotta pots for $19 which I couldn't resist, bought one of these. Also picked up some  Plant Dynamite, Plant Tone and some high nitrogen tree and shrub food, mainly for bamboo who likes the nitrogen. Plant Tone is an organic fertilizer, 5-3-3 made of bone meal, dried blood, smells like offal but it has beneficial microbes in it, an my instincts tell me it keeps the soil alive.

On the way home, I lost control of my car and pulled into the local nursery, one block from my house, the Wilton Manors Nursery. There is an old cracker who runs the place (the term 'cracker' refers to the Florida cowboys that ran cattle all over the state in the 1800's, now it means more or less a 'good old boy') with whom I haggled for two bougainvilleas in 3 gal pots. I only got $2.50  off the combined price but it opened the door to haggle in the future as I go there every few weeks.
I got everything home, planted bougainvilleas, approx 36"-40" high, where cypress had been, placed recently purchased Pandora Vine along rail and the results were sweet.

The tropical cottage garden (along a handrail).

Worked all last night,  I need to gather some steam and get some more potting soil as I never got around to planting the creeping fig and night blooming cereus into the fabulous square fiberglass planter I bought from Hay Needle for $69.
New planter


Planted: creeping fig, night blooming cereus, euphorbia 'Silver Fox'

On the dog walk: the chalice vines are starting to bloom

No comments:

Post a Comment