Sunday, April 14, 2013

Hiatus

Busy at a currently stressful job, one would think would push me into the garden as a retreat. Murder mysteries and sudoku and hot cocoa at the end of the day have instead been the salve. I've ordered a good deal of custom trellis to cover the walls. The character of the garden will change with the greening of the walls. Stepanoitis, with it's beautiful thick, dark green leaves is potted and ready to begin taking hold of the trellis that is going to wrap 3 sides of the western pillar. It will get enough sun I think to remain nice and green and put out what are supposed to be quite a pretty display of simple, white scented flowers in the spring. Not sure what will go on the east pillar. Bougainvillea will be trained on both of the outside walls which receive 6+ of sun.

I've gotten a thumbs down on my palm tree. The critic said it wasn't a good fit. Maybe. But it provides some shade- an interesting sunny / dappled shade as the fronds are blown around, it breaks up the sun enough to be quite useful. We'll seen. I've decided that I don't have room for a solanum macranthum.. it can be cut back, but it only flowers on new growth, it grows quick and the large leaves choke out the light for the lower leaves to fill in. It becomes leggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment