Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The ordinary things

I haven’t been able to spend any time during the week in the garden other than to drink a cup of coffee in the morning. It’s been wet for a good deal of the month so there’s really not a lot to do but watch it grow and sweep up fallen leaves that begin to stick to the tile.

I bought a small succulent last week at Living Color, on Griffin Road.  It looks as though it wants to bloom, there is a hint of coral at the end of two twisting extensions growing out of it. Stay tuned.  Succulents and cacti come in some very interesting forms, but I’m afraid to throw my hat into the ring with these guys as they are like begonias--potted, the rain and high humidity can easily take them out.
The cereus planted last week looked stalled out and maybe even on the decline. I gently subtracted a piece or two out of one of the pots and found the beginning of micro-roots forming. Thin as hairs and white.  I packed the pieces back into the ground.

I was going to poke something in the ground under the orange tree, an area which I use as a nursery, or for  temp parking, and I came across a litter of snails – just hatched. Bad.


The tropical perennial bed with begonia popenoei (with the round leaves and beautiful flowers in front of palm), at the Fairchild Botanic Garden. 


No comments:

Post a Comment