Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A striking storm

The afternoon's of the last two days have brought heavy, though somewhat brief torrents. The lightening strikes today were especially exciting. South Florida is gifted with a remarkable amount of electro-static charges dancing around in the sky. It strikes upward supposedly. It does not look like it to me.

Anyway, the rain is needed in the macro environment. It's been a dry start of the summer. Howeva,  in my potted universe, the sudden humid, flooding pose a problem for the begonias. Always the begonias... so I won't bore you with that.

Let me tell you what's working with little bother. The bamboo seems to be fine. I noticed some scale on the bottom of several culms so I sprayed it with a weak bleach solution.

The bleeding heart that are now planted in every box along the handrail don't seem to be very shy.

The claredendron that Leonard gave me is doing beautifully. It had bee planted with a good deal of it's tap root in soil that it had been growing in. Both of which make perfect sense. But, the new growth started appearing stunted, small leaflets, etc. I repotted it in MiracleGro soil-- and trimmed the roots back sharply. It kicked started some fiesty growth. It's a mature plant, in topiary form. Very pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment