Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The clear blue days of winter

Sweet days of late. Sunny 70's, into the mid 60's in the eves. Several residents in bloom; bower vine, Vietnamese gardenia, bougainvillea-- purple, magenta and orange; the orange bougie is really showing off a bit. I like color, I don't give a damn whether they match or not (almost). Living color is good for the soul. The begonias are coming into bloom as well: U402, Arte Hodes PHOE "Red", b Alba and my newest aquisition begonia 'Big Mac'. They should be flowering well into March with luck.
The blood orange has been getting watered more regularly. Mature, and grown tighter in the pot, itsucks up moisture pretty quickly. With a bucket or two water every other,  I'm rewarded with shiny new growth-- and the continued maturation of a half dozen oranges! Need some more plants like sanchezia for the handrail planters which are planted with vines. Something bright and full is needed to cover the base of the climbers. The sun will bleach the color out of the sanchezia's leaves. In  my last back yard (in terra) I used it in a large border in a shady area.It provided nice color and regular blooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment