Thursday, December 19, 2013

Bounden duty

I am a member of the American Orchid Society. The AOS 2014 Orchid Source Directory came as a supplemental to their monthly Orchid Magazine. I am going to rate some websites in the booklet. Starting in Hawaii;

1. www.hrorchids.com - They evidently have bought space in the Orchid Source Directory, however the downloadable color catalogue seems to date from 2006-2007.

2. www.kaleialoha.com - Orchids offered don't have any genus information appended to pics. More of a orchid florist than an interesting source of orchids.

3. www.kauaiorchids.com - website down for service..

4. www.kawamotoorchids.com - primarily an Ebay seller. I bought a small (but pricey) trichoglottis brachiate, healthy, shipped quick, carefully packed.

5. www.lehuaorchids.com - Paphiopedilum, Masdevallia, Agraecoid, Lycastenae, etc. Specialized grower.

 A neighbor complained that my bougainvillea bracts were blowing onto her terrace and her dogs were eating them and vomiting. I cut it down from the level from 15' to about 6' below the level of the wall. I had cut down the Buddha belly bamboo the day before. It's growth had become too irregular and some of the lower branches were dying. I need to come up with a tree for the pot; wind resistant, etc.

This is a sorry excuse for a blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment