Saturday, December 14, 2013

Too much loving?

Mokara Sayam with Miss Joachim
It's been warm and sunny this past week. Very busy at work. My time on the terrace has been made up trying to re-hydrate the vanda velum and selectively watering pots with the 3 litre water can. I probably did a seaweed Super Thrive wash once during the week.

Today, I was up early, before the sunrise. Reading about pests and diseases on the St. Augustine Orchid society. It reminded me that it's preferable to spray in the early morning. So I did. With Organicide. Leaves and roots-- all of the vandas, strap leaf and terete, the renanthera storei, trichoglottis brachiatis. Oh nooo. Organicide is made up, among other things, of fish and sesame oil. I thought I had carefully put one ounce in one gallon. Absolutely no sun after spraying  Natural, oil-based insecticides like Organicide can attack insects, fungus, rot. 3 in 1.  Wonderful. But I haven't had luck-- with them unfortunately. I don't think they're advisable in zone 10b.

I have tied 2 of the Mokara Sayam to the teretes that are themselves affixed securely against chicken wire in one instance and a branch of hardwood. Having a bunch of vandas hanging around is not really natural looking, so why not bundle up some different types of vandas-- if the strap leaves can take the sun, the different types leaves, rates of growth, flowers could be quite the center piece.



Vandas - strap leaf and 2 types of terete (same as above), it might make an interesting mass

No comments:

Post a Comment