Thursday, May 26, 2011

The east end - splayed bougainvillea

The bougainvillea on the east end has it's branches splayed and tightly wired to the wall, when it's in bloom it looks like a rose bush covered in gaudy roses. I'm not sure if it will ever fill out with foliage as much as if it were left alone to form the climbing bush it wants to be. We'll see. I think, as soon as I can get 2 more hooks in the walls for the base branches I can remove the wooden trellis and it'll look a lot better.

I've also posted a picture of b 'Gryphon' which I bought at Home Depot for $3.98. Some buyer at HD is partial to begonias, from time to time they have begonias worth buying. Earlier in the year, every week there would be a different hanging begonia, some were quite nice.

Red Fred, Art Hodes and Ethroyphylla Helix arrived today from Glasshouse Nursery in Ohio. The plants were large nice looking plants. The Art Hodes was a bonus- a nice big boy. Now, of course is the challenge-- begonias on the 4th floor terrace, in zone 10b.

I'm sorry to say that Little Fred bit the dust today. You gotta know went to mulch 'em.

1 comment: