Thursday, October 13, 2011

Discipline and design


Easy to forget that a garden is like a furnished room. Pieces should be considered for placement before being placed. Plant furniture has the additional considerations of light requirements, protection from the wind, etc.

I'm afraid the star-burst Clerodendrum Quadriloculare might have to go. It's growing in and although  I love the deep greenish purple of the leaf, I'm not sure there's room.

I also have to tackle that issue of vines and the handrails. I don't have the busty cascading effect that I want at least on the center rail. The chalice vine I've planted might fill it up, but the rectangular planter might not be big enough in the long run. There is always something isn't there?

There is nothing more romantic than this.

The plans for Munstead Wood are to me like a stern teacher with a ruler



The results, however, turn out to be flowing perennial borders, stuffed with carefully chosen plants, each with their own function-- color, height, texture.


I am going to make a draw out a plan of my terrace. I'll post it when it comes to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment