Friday, May 11, 2012

The nascent summer

Don't want to go more than two or three days without a post.

The rhizomatous begonias outside are looking a little tattered but are putting out new growth and seem happy protected from wind and direct sun and rain by the bower vine.

b. 'Gryphon' inside is doing well. It receives bright indirect light, in a light soil rich in humus. I water once a week or so, using a weak liquid feed. Today I sprinkled a little Plant Dynamite around the base to kick some new growth out of it. Hopefully the stronger food won't make the new leaves too heavy to be supported in an attractive way.. gotta be careful overdoing the food. If there was a pill that made everything perfect, I would buy two. Hence my heavy hand with fertilizer. Better to hold back.

The warming weather is bringing with it growth that can be seen from one day to another. An exciting time in the garden. The variegated oak-leaf croton is getting somewhat leggy. Time to selectively started cutting back branches to promote fullness.

The problem with fertilizing young plumeria is that the new growth is bare. I'm not sure how new growth would react to a cut back. I'll try it in on inconspicuous branch and report back.




A bed of hyssop in my first garden (not on a terrace). Ossining, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment