Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Lay my weary bones to rest

Potted plants do best, it's been my experience, when their soil is kept evenly moist. Very good drainage is a must, or they'll drowned. The soil should allow water to run through easily while still retaining some moisture. I try to take into consideration the amount of foliage that sucks water out of the soil as they transpire, the weather- heat, humidity, etc., and the type of plant.

How would the plant grow in it's native environment? Many rhizomatous begonias grow in loose, moist soil full of organic matter, which I've found to be very trickly to emulate on my windy, sunny terrace.

Thank goodness, as time goes on, I'm finding other unique plants that seem to be able to take a lickin'  while still being lush, tropical, specimens: philodendron, solanum macranthum, buddha belly bamboo, bougainvillea, plumeria, gardenia, jasmine, bower vine, croton, macho fern and, yes, I have found some begonias, U402, a shrub-like begonia, being a remarkable example as it's a non-stop bloomer-- and such a pretty habit.

It's been NON-STOP at work lately and I've been too tired to spend time in the garden-- beyond a few cups of PG Tips (black as night with a bucket of cream and a little splenda).

No comments:

Post a Comment