Sunday, December 23, 2012

Broken bones

I reported recently that the potato tree suffered a sudden wilt on one of its 2 trunks a week ago or so. I grabbed the trunk to turn the pot today and the skin on the trunk came off in a slimy mess in my hand. I cut into the wood a bit and the wood was brown. I grabbed the trunk and was able to twist it off at the base which didn't look sick. I mixed up a copper bath and drenched the poor thing. We'll see if the copper will protect the rest of the tree. The growth still growing on the plant looks vigorous.
We'll see how it recovers from the amputation of the gangrenous limb. Shown is the remaining arm, looking no worse for the loss of it's twin. It will probably send up some new branches fairly quickly (i'm guessing) it has a mature root system. The wayward snapdragon for color.   A fern of some sort would probably dress the base of the tree right nicely. Creeping fig and cereus background, with wart fern in adjacent square planter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment