Saturday, December 1, 2012

Garden time time

Sunny day, went to Palm Hammock to look at begonias. I finally had my coupon punched 5 times and I can get 20% of my next purchase. I was ready for a new begonia, but I realized I was too tired of having my heart broken by having gorgeous begonias rot and die on me to buy. It came to me standing in one of the hot houses, the air was perfectly still, humid and filled with bright direct light, that's where they want to be. Or in some shady nook in a fabulous garden in Coral Gables.  I did looked at a fishtail-like fern.  They wanted $55 for a 3 gal. It was beautiful, but the price put me off a little. Ferns do well on the terrace. One would think the salty air, sun etc wouldn't encourage growth, but to date they've done quite well. I should say that I do have some begonias still kicking, one Arte Hodes-like pigskin types, one of the white flowered b grandis, one b 'DOC' a Tim Anderson hybrid. U402 just won't leave me alone, I love it. Also, still have some caribbean queen poking it's head up in the orange pot.
Pandorea jasminoides Charisma charming the handrail. Only positive things to say about this simple, cottage vine.


I've posted pics of this girl before. She's come into blooom again and there's something very elegant about a deep, shiny emerald leaf and a simple white blossom, the scent of which, on a still, humid night is intoxicating. Might the steroidal 10-52-10 be coaxing this flush of blooming?

2 comments:

  1. Why not post on one of the begonia forums asking what varieties do well under the growing conditions you experience on your terrace. Perhaps if you start with smaller plants rather than the larger specimens, they will adapt better to your environmental conditions.

    I think bird nest ferns will thrive on your terrace. They grow surprisingly fast making very impressive specimens. I picked up several four inch pots this spring from Lowes and now they are three foot beauty queens with 30-50 leaves. I've seen some nice five gallon B.N. plants at Home depot for $18 but if you don't get them when they first come in they can become ratty....you can't let them completely dry out.

    The rest of your plants are looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I have put to good use some Macho ferns as large background plants. I have wart ferns in several of the bougainvillea pots to dress up their bare base of the trunks. I also bought some ferns that look like asplenium nida at PHOE my last visit. I need to find an online reference of ferns.

    The machos need to be repotted in larger parts with some rich new soil. I love the idea of a specimen bird's nest.

    ReplyDelete