Sunday, September 29, 2013

Let the learning curve begin

 How much water for the vanda, whose bare roots transpire in this hot weather. How much feeding can I get away with, in an effort to kickstart remarkable growth or new flower spikes. The pseudo bulbs on the Schomburgkia lueddemanii x self were black (and seemed to be moving down rhizome). Thought I'd pull off the bad, perhaps some were still green, they were all touched (I hope it was rot and not something that could have been righted, otherwise a plant died in vain). $25-35 on the debit side of the GL. In my defense, it my have been infected before falling into my hands.

Not sure here, but it seems pretty safe to suggest; do NOT water a begonia with any amount of copper fungicide in the water. Don't do it. I drenched b. 'Selph's ..with left over water that containted the copper, leaves started wilting, and falling from the rhizome. Another drench of clean water seems to have washed the poison away enough to stop the wilt.

Filled a bucket of water, added a drop of SuperThrive and soaked aerides, new vandas. They'll be dry by dusk. They need the moisture -- the almost constant breeze and heat stresses them out (thus speaks new orchid master), again, we'll how long it takes. But you never know.. there is some hearty new growth on some of the plants. My heart is in the right place.

Need to get some pics up and document this amateur horticultural circus.

Thanks very much for the comments on typical plant growth cycle. I'll study more.

No comments:

Post a Comment