Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Pure Science

Injected some fish emulsion into today's orchid douche. I'm at work now, but will catalogue plant size (photographically) by week as I alternate between fish and seaweed additives - as well as SuperThrive. Of course these will be in addition to a weak Jack's 20-20-20. Especially interested in Vanda root growth.

Does flowering stop plant growth?

Friday 9/27..

A spray of the Ascocenda adisak blue suddenly collapsed.. pollination? too much sun? The Aerides Lawrenciae has finished the stalks clipped. I've been trying to find confirmation that blooming halts the plant growth... stalks gone-- keiki on the aerides will finally start growing??

I've been watering the vanda daily with a light solution of tap water and emulsified seaweed extract. My orchids are growing. They seem to like the near constant air movement (ocean breeze). After three weeks now most are acclimated to the sun cycle. Watering the dendrobium, schomburgkia every other day.

Google has totally sold out, searches now on orchid growth brings ads, ads, ads.. I'm ashamed for them.

I searched on Google scholar with more interesting results-- here's one for us in S Florida:

Four-year growth and reproduction of Cyclopogon cranichoides (Orchidaceae) in South Florida

or maybe, 

Recent developments in the study of orchid mycorrhiza

or how about one on ye olde mycorrhizal fungi?

Hitting some local nurseries this weekend. I bought 2 plants off of ebay. I don't know why, I'm in the Orchid capital of the country (except maybe for Hawaii), impulse buys while watching Doc Martin.. 

1 comment:

  1. I've conducted basic nutrition physiology on cotton. I would presume the results are similar among most plants. During the growth period from germination to several weeks post germination, the plant directs the majority of its energy into root proliferation (N,P). The next growth phase which is mostly vegetative, the plant reduces root growth in favor of foliage production (N,P). At the initiation of flowering, most of the plants energy goes to growing the reproductive organs (flowers, seeds) (K). In cotton, 70% of the cotton boll is potassium. Potassium nitrate (KNO3) is the best source of potassium for plants. It is very safe to apply on the foliage, highly soluble and it has the preferred form of nitrogen (NO3) opposed to (NH3). I would apply the KNO3 at the first sign of flower spike or before for best result. KNO3 is widely used by farmers but hard to find in small packages. Ebay is a good source.

    ReplyDelete