Friday, January 13, 2012

Cool and humid (68F / 20C)

The potato tree aka solanum macranthum
Cool, damp, mostly gray day. Spot fertilized (crystal MiracleGro 2 tbs per 3 gal can) in the early am. I am trying maintain discipline when it comes to watering the begonias. I need to see the leaves wilt a bit or at least a nice dry top 3/4" of soil. Bleeding heart, jasmine in boxes by handrail are always thirsty.

I don't know why I haven't put palms in large pots for shade. So many types that would do fine out there to choose from. I could tie them up with some sturdy fishing line to secure from wind.

A comment was left to my Wednesday post suggesting Solanum macranthum that, from research, looks to have gorgeous leaves and bluish-purple flowers. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like a very wind tolerant plant. Ocean breezes, often packing a punch are part of my terrace environment. I tried brugmansia and they didn't take to the wind so well. That plant was ultimately eaten up by spider mites. I didn't have the energy at the time to put up a fight. 

They also suggested bromeliad 'Harvey's Pride'. I might have too much direct sun for that I'll have to research it. Doing some research on this bromeliad I ran across: 
A great website. It's fascinating and someone's put a lot of work into sharing their love of these plants!

Good night

No comments:

Post a Comment