Sunday, January 22, 2012

Orange blossom special

Cirrus in the morning
The blood orange, responding to some citrus fertilizer stakes I planted a few weeks ago, has a nice flush of miniature blossoms. Their fragrance is strong, luckily it is one of the sweetest there is.

I was hoping to run down to Hollywood to by a bromeliad achmea 'Harvey's Pride' as was suggested by a comment left here. I'll have to save up for a week or do before shelling out the $65 for one. It's supposed to be a handsome, wind-hardy specimen.

As to the sorry looking potato tree I bought yesterday at Jesse Durko's, the semi-woody trunks and branches remind me of it's cousin brugmansia. The leaves are thicker than brugmansia. Hopefully, it will not be as prone to fungus, mites, etc. I'm trying to find out the native geographical distribution to get a sense of it's culture. How and when should it be pruned? I'm shopping now for a sizable pot for it. It will replace plumeria in southeast corner near handrail. I'll want to keep it trimmed to not block bougainvillea's sun but it should offer the begonias protection.

Be careful when fertilizing, a heavy hand can cause irregular growth that can work against the goal of a healthy, well proportioned plant.

2 comments:

  1. Hey "Terrace Guy", I'm the commenter who recommended the potato tree. The plant is in the solanaceous genus. It is NOT related to brugmansia(sure looks similar) but rather tomatoes, potatoes, and egg plants. When it matures and if you are lucky, it will produce small fruit that look just like a tomatillo. I've only had one fruit produced in all the years I've been growing them. Regarding plant culture, it does best in full sun. The plant requires a lot of fertilizer to get best growth. It should have large vigorous leaves. You can mix Miracle Grow in the water and fertilize the plant (half strength) with each watering. The plant when well fed grows very fast and tends to be self branching. I cut mine back every 2-3 months to keep them as manageable patio trees. It produces all its flowers on new growth, the more the plant is pinched and encouraged to branch, the more flowers it will produce. They tend to throw up shoots at the base of the trunk. If allowed to grow, you can make a multiple trunk specimen. Can you post a picture of the plant? I assume it is growing in a five gallon pot. They don't like to be "over potted". I can give you better advice if I see the condition of the plant. I completely topped mine trees for the winter and they are coming back from the basal shoots. Some of the leaves are at least 18" long and very tropical appearing. When your plant starts growing and needs trimming, you can root new plants from the cuttings and trade them with your friends or sell them on Craigs List.

    I read your comments on begonias. I'm an experienced plant person and I too have lost begonias here in Florida especially in the summer humidity when they are attacked by numerous fungus. Most rhizomatus begonias are very easy to root from a leaf. Just take a small to medium leaf leaving a 2-3" stem. Put the stem into water, I use an old pill bottle, and place the leaf in a sunny location. It's very important to change the water twice a day so that bacteria don't develop and rot the stem. After the stem roots (1-3 weeks)pot up the leaf and new plants will develop from the end of the stem. It takes some diligence but it's not that hard. When you visit your favorite nursery(hint, hint), snip a leaf of your favorite plants(keep some water in your car). Most places will give you a leaf if you ask as long as you make a purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks once again for your comments. That's what I keep doing this for. You've inspired me to read a little of "Introduction to Plant Taxonomy" by C. Jeffries. Brugmansia and Solanum Macranthum are both members of the Solanacea family but the relation stops there as you pointed out. I've wanted to understand plant classification for some time now. Thanks for the nudge.

    I have propogated rhizomatous leaves as directed in Thompson's begonia 'encyclopedia' and was successful. I will try your method as it sounds like it's quicker. But, how deeply should the stem be inserted into soil? What size container to start the sproutlets in?

    I've posted (temporarily as the photos are poor) the potato tree and a nice resin pot that looked suitable. Any suggestions as to shaping, etc. welcome.

    ReplyDelete