Sunday, January 29, 2012

You better WORK!

 A lot of work today in garden after a week of flu. Unpotted 7 gal potato tree and knocked off about 2/3 of old soil. Call me crazy, but it was smelly, compacted soil. [Perhaps I had been a little eager to keep this heavy drinker moist. If the days are overcast and a little cool a light hand with the water is warranted]. I think that cleaning, and sometimes trimming the roots back significantly breathes some life into a plant. In a large trash bag, I mixed 1.5' of potting soil, a bag of perlite, some plant dynamite and 1.5 cup (or so) of Hydrosorb a polymer that absorbs water and releases it as the soil dries. With the cleaner, smaller root ball, I filled with the new soil mix, it sits about 2" below lip of pot. I then watered her in. After 2 water cans, it started draining freely.

I planted some U402, some b. heracleifolia 'Nigricans' at the base of the tree. They have proven up to being in exposed winter sun. By the warm season, their host, the potato tree, will provide them some life-saving shade.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment