Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A pot full of color

Bougies along the handrail

A day off of work! And onto the terrace I went. I planted 2 coral colored and one orange bougainvillea along with a white plumeria and a Mexican Heather in a 20" pot. Crammed in the pot I should say and I'm not ashamed of doing it. The 4 large plants will grow in and keep each other nice and tight which they all like to be-- in a tight spot. I'm not sure how long the heather willl last, but it has a great low spreading habit and it's purple coloration has just a hint of blue which makes the color pop-- especially against the coral and orange bougainvillea.

Going on a week long cruise 2/25-3/3. I bought a product called "Vacation" which is supposed to make your plants go into an emergency drought mode.. I bought a pint, $14.95, not realizing that it is not concentrated. I will only get 2 gals or so out of it. Those 2 gals will go into the handrail planters as the Bleeding Heart sucks the soil dry in 2 days. The Solanum Macranthum will suffer as will the bamboo. The last time out of town for this period of time, even in the winter, the bamboo lost a good many leaves. Everything recovers of course. The Super Thrive claims to add some protection against stress, so I'll make sure all watering includes a few drops of this in each gallon. The otherwise delicate begonias will be fine. A good wetting of the soil and they will sit pretty for 6 days easy. I've got a nice wall of green dappled shade for the begonias on the east side-- alocasia, potato tree, duranta, bromeliad With a little luck, it will rain for a day or two while we're away.

A tightly knit family-- 3 bougies and a plumeria in a 20" resin pot

No comments:

Post a Comment