Saturday, February 25, 2012

Heading out to sea

This shrub was suggested for the terrace by a reader. It is really beginning to grow on me. 
Big boy!  Giant potato tree leaf providing sturdy shade for the begonias
We've just sailed out of Port Everglades and I am feeling a lot better about leaving the terrace as I have a dear friend who has volunteered to come and water. It's a wonderful thing.

I'm especially glad for the Solanum Macranthum (aka potato tree). I've included a picture of a leaf with my hand for scale. One can imagine that large leaf surface will transpire freely sucking up moisture from the soil.

I watered everything in heavily yesterday as well as this morning, it's been clear and warm and I didn't want to leave anything to chance. A dry bamboo root ball is not nice. The bamboo will begin to discard leaves quickly. It will revive with water of course but it will take weeks. I am very happy to be avoiding this.

The first blossoms are appearing on the potato, a pale bluish-purple.
The scented bloom of the potato tree
Unknown shrub on dog walk, same texture as potato blossom. Small world.
New growth from splitting wood on unknown shrub. 

No comments:

Post a Comment