Monday, February 6, 2012

Richard Lyons nursery




Woke up early Sunday and drove down south Homestead to visit the Richard Lyons nursery. It is several acres of arbors, vegetable gardens, fruit trees, and a good many flowering trees that were strangers to me.

The owner gave us an extended 'golf cart' tour of the place, letting us sample ripe fruit and vegetables as we passed them.

We picked leeks, kolrabi, ripe star fruit, a lacy lettuces (bitter) for a few bucks. The trip is worth it for the fresh vegetables and fruit alone!

My purchases for the day, besides veggies and fruit were bougainvillea. I bought one bonsai ready specimen, about 12" tall with a 3.5" dia. trunk for $35. I'm going back for another of these. I also bought an orange bracket 3 gal plant.

This nursery is a great day trip. About a mile a way on Old Dixie Highway, is Shriver's BBQ. I haven't had hush puppies and collards that good since I was a child. My plate was a pulled pork, baby back rib combo. The flavors enriched me spiritually.


PS.

I have started putting 5-1-1 'Alaska' fish emulsion in my watering cans. I am very careful about measurement, I tip the bottle of fish oil over the water can for about 3 seconds and give the bottle a tiny squeeze. Then I fill up the 2.5 gal can and water. Although, it says it has been deodorized with mint oil, the pre-mixed smell of the emulsion is gagging.


Squash patch with bougie in front. Jack fruit behind? (they were coming into blossom)

A very inviting country lane

No comments:

Post a Comment