Saturday, March 26, 2011

The terrace for sale next door- it comes with a 3 bed 2 bath condo. I wish I had the cash to buy it. It's terrace is as long as mine (35'), but it doesn't have a roof covering the mid third of it. There is a wooden pergola held up by 2 40" or so round masonry posts. If I was doing their terrace landscape work, i'd get 2 50+ gal pots of bougainvillea from Everglades Botanicals-- $300 ea? Lash those against the posts  to guide them toward the ultimate aim of having them climb up and over pergola. I'm am into  masses of messy fabulous colors, so I'd probably try to get a blue sky vine going between the boards at the same time. Maybe a jade vine? A parrot's beak vine? A giant chalice vine. Ideally, all of them. bird of paradise, vines,  a buddha belly -- it stays low and has a thick head of hair, etc.

Back to my plot of masonry and tile. Vines, vines and vines! The passion fruit I'm weaving in on the east handrail, with the jasmine, has a purple flower, I am hoping that it is a 'possum' purple which puts out good fruit. . They have a dull. sweet smell, but i can tell it's a food plant from the scent (call me crazy). A few flowers have already opened. I'm not sure if they are self-polinating or not. There is one good size fruit hanging.

I repotted the mexican flame vine, there was too much hydrasorb in the soil. I HAVE to follow directions. I used to bake good bread, and a baker has to follow instructions fairly carefully. But when I was potting it the other day,  I just threw a few fist fulls of the hydrating polymer in the potting soil. I watered it and the damn thing erupted out of the pot. I leveled the top of the pot thinking that it might be ok, but i saw some black leasions that hinted at the arrival of root rot.

No virginia creeper yet. I've seen a walls around, that have clinging vines with fairly large branches. Don't know if they're one type. I need to dig a little and find out what my options are for a third (or 4th) climber to use. The creeping fig coming out of the orange pot is starting to move. It's branching out and looking pretty confident climbing. It's not as slow as I thought it to be.  I've been worried that a vine on the wall might be frowned upon by condo powers, but walking Ricky today, I noticed several of the buildings on 'Village Lane' had creeping fig heading up thier walls-- precedence has been set.

I don't have time to tell you about my poor croton which has been viciously attacted by a host of different pests. I did the systematic treatment the other day. I neem oiled it this morning. Is it beyond saving? 

The sun has just gone down and the sky is a muddy apricot. The tempature of the breeze is delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment