Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bright, dry days of spring

I went to Home Depot at lunch and bought 2.5 cu of potting soil. I use the Miracle Grow, it is nice and black and has a good deal of organic matter. There was a sturdy looking Mexican Flame (Senecio confusus)  vine covered with the feathery orange flowers for $19, the handrail on the other end of the terrace needed something to balance the passion flower. Planted the Flame vine into a thick terracota pot, I used 2 handfuls of Absorbs hydrating polymer which will serve well in the upcoming hot summer sun. It is a beautiful, hardy grower.

Finished transplanting the Duranta into a larger plastic pot. It's supposed to grow to a large shrub 12' - 15' (depending on trimming) and form a fountain-like habit, with purple flowers at the tips of the branches http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Duranta_(1).jpg . It is a member of the Verbena family. It will add some depth to the garden by spraying flowering branches into the garden and not simply blooming against a wall.

I realized the other day when I pulled everything away from the wall how much better it looked. Having some pots closer, others almost hidden, it made a more natural, random look. I had been planting for the walls -a straight foot path versus a soft, winding foot path, one that invites the visitor in.

Ordered a copy of Eleanor Perenyi's 'Green Thoughts'. Need to see if i still have my V. Sackville-West 'In Your Garden' . I love a good historic garden diary.
Looking forward to the arrival of the Virginia Creeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment