Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Partly cloudy at noon

Posted reply to responses to my SOS, indicating that I had followed the suggestion to repot the rex with much lighter soil. When I unpotted it, the soil was very heavy and compacted. The roots would definitely not be able to dry out nicely and breath.  I did not want to repot the small bowls, I want them to be tight before risking shocking anyone. 
Selph is sending up a number of leaves. I am happy about that.  Looking forward to a raucus, large leafed begonia climbing up on out of it's bowl – with erect rhizomes it should be a very interesting site.
I’d like to get a erythrophylla helix , old school begonia—need to consult the Thompson’s encyclopedia for culture.  I need to start exercising restraint collecting however ..  I’ll have to find good spots for everyone and there aren’t that many to go around. One of my favorite online catalogs for begonia:

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your gardening diary with us. You obviously have a special connection with plants and especially begonias.

    ReplyDelete